Ukrainian refugees travel from Lviv and cross the Poland border at Medyka and arrive at a crisis center in Przemysl. They stay for a day and move west to Krakow to find a new life.
As this tragic war continued unabated, we have asked ourselves over and over “how can we help”? This week Dana and I accepted an invitation to go to Poland with an open heart and helpful hands to join the “Ukraine Relief Initiative” team that has partnered with “Kraków Debniki for Ukraine (KDU)”.
Our friend and colleague Matt McKissock reached out from Poland this past week where he spent several weeks working alongside the on-the-ground group – Krakow Debniki for Ukraine (KDU) team in the Debniki district of Krakow. KDU is a core team of eight main volunteers who have stepped into the breach to organize, coordinate and lead every single aspect of the refugee crises within their district. Their work includes finding housing, food, resettlement with host families, and other critical support services for Ukrainian citizens fleeing their homes. The US/UK team “Ukraine Relief Initiative” is partnering with the Polish KDU team to provide much-needed resources.
The Mission Statement spoke to us-
“Relieve the crisis. Thoughtfully. With Discipline and heart. Now.”
We will depart for Kraków, Poland on Wednesday, 4/20, and return on 5/8. We are paying for all of our expenses (flights, hotels, and food), as are all the volunteers. If this mission speaks to you, please join this humanitarian journey with us by directly funding the purchase of food, clothing, and supplies urgently needed by families (mostly women, children, and the elderly). Financial support is critical to assisting the generosity of the Polish people that have opened their hearts and their homes to their Ukrainian neighbors. Methods to contribute are listed below. We will provide regular updates on the work being accomplished at the end of each day via posts on Facebook (yes, we rejoined…for this important purpose) and via emails.
How can you help?
1) Donate funds, immediately…please see below.
2) Amplify this story with your own voice into your network of amazing human beings with hearts as large as yours.
3) Follow us on Facebook; Join the FB Group “Ukraine Relief Initiative”
4) Ask to be added to our email distribution list for regular updates.
5) Hold the intention (and pray, if you are so inclined) for Peace on Earth.
Thank you for being the people we want to travel with through life. We appreciate your friendship, love, and support on this journey.
With Much Love,
Cindy and Dana
HOW TO DONATE FUNDS
TO CONTRIBUTE BY CHECK AND RECEIVE A TAX RECEIPT:
Make your check payable to “Hispanic Community Council” include “Ukrainian Relief Initiative” in the check memo, and mail your check to:
Ukrainian Relief Initiative
c/o Gladys Archer
115 Main Ave
Warren, PA 16365
Also, please include a note with your contact info (address, phone, email).
For details on the Hispanic Community Council* see the footnote at the end of this post.
TO CONTRIBUTE ELECTRONICALLY BY PAYPAL AND RECEIVE A TAX RECEIPT
Use this link: https://www.paypal.me/UkraineReliefInitiat.
In the MEMO, PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER, AND EMAIL.
WHAT IF I DON’T CARE ABOUT A TAX RECEIPT?
You can still send your check according to the above instructions. Or for extreme simplicity, you can Venmo directly to my personal account now and I’ll make sure your funds get where they need to be. Make sure to indicate “Ukraine Relief Initiative” in the transfer, and please give me your other contact info (phone, email, address). You can Venmo directly to me:
Click this link, https://account.venmo.com/u/Cynthia-Henson-12
* Hispanic Community Council of Chautauqua County (HCC) is a local 501C3 charity in the Warren-Jamestown area that has generously stepped forward, slashed the red tape, and agreed to act as the pass-through charity to process payments and issue tax receipts for our Ukraine Relief Initiative, consistent with their broad charitable mandate relating to international community engagement. HCC is not charging our initiative one single penny to act as our pass-through charity. 100% of your contributions sent to HCC and earmarked for the Ukrainian Relief Initiative will go towards our mission of relieving the Ukrainian refugee crisis, subject to the constraint that 10% of all such funds must be spent in the United States. So, in plain English, you give us $10, and we send $9 of it directly to our team in Poland/Ukraine to target the crisis on the ground there, and we are free to use the other $1 in whatever way we deem the best Ukrainian relief target in the US (e.g., supporting Ukrainian refugees who are resettling in the US). And at the end of the year, you receive a tax receipt for your $10 donation.